sâmbătă, 26 decembrie 2009

Pieter Bruegel the Elder at National Gallery

As you know I've been to London a few weeks ago. Of course I visited The National Gallery (NG). What I liked the most: the Rembrandt-s and the Van Gogh-s. Truly great. I didn't know I could still feel so intimately older paintings, and now I'm referring to Rembrandt. Even more than Van Goghs. A few years ago expressionism was the hight of feeling for me. I guess I changed.

Back to NG, what I disliked profoundly and profusely were the dumb commentaries from the audio-guide...like: Woman standing with 3 flowers in her right hand in the middle of the field...As I was blind and couldn't see that much...I guess I saw in this something from the British ethos...After all their philosophers were the great empiricists. All that is to be known is through the senses...

However, let's get to the title of the post...uff...so the painting that most spoke to me was The Adoration of the Kings, by Bruegel the Elder...it struck me and shocked me...I felt like I had instant access to medieval imaginary...and linked it also to our century (not the 21st but the 20th and its horrors - I made the association through Otto Dix's pieces).



Source for the image: http://www.ibiblio.org

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu